I was eating at a Persian restaurant, the Wish Dish Café, and I got to talking with the host. He was telling me about a book that really affected him. It was about the history of Kings in Iran. As we talked about Stoic responses to life and training he said I should read the book. I bought it.
I am still amazed that history repeats itself. The sages say the same things after having lived life.
Here are some passages for the direction in life.
- Do not chase worldly goods and wealth. It is much better that a man avoid harming others as he lives on the Earth.
- When you are made King, adopt the humility of a slave.
- All that remains from us is our deeds. So, deviate not from the path of the righteous.
- Only the unwise pass their time without reflection.
- For the glory of having fought is greater than the disgrace of having been beaten.
- Sedate your passion and temper your greed.
- Rain in the demon of excess in the world and only in the path of justice proceed.
- The future is no more real than the wind.
- Be generous and resist the temptation of wealth.
- The point is to live in the light of reason while we are alive.